The last few month’s have been pretty turbulent. First several ISP issue, software issues, DDOS attacks and in the end a completely corrupted file system. We have survived them all.
As the first thing I would like to thank a dear friend of mine sci2tech for helping recover the corrupted file system, without him I would have had to recover all pages manually one by one and probably also lost all mails stored on the server. He worked some kind of black magic on the server and it is now fit for fight again.
As many probably have known for some time, I’ve been thinking about upgrading the server. Everything has finally settled, this means the old server will go on pension while a new will take over.
Hercules as the current psychical server is called has been running two virtual servers for the past 1½ years, hera (web/mail) and artemis (VoIP,bots,everything else). For those who haven’t looked at the old server specifications:
– CPU: Intel Xeon X3220 2.4GHz (Quad Core)
– Memory: 4x Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 – 2048MB (8192MB)
– Motherboard: Asus P5BV-C/4L, I3200, Socket-775, ATX
– HDD 1: 4x Western Digital RE4™ Enterprise 1TB (64MB Cache, 7200RPM) RAID 5 + Hotspare
– HDD 2: 2x Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB (32MB Cache, 7200RPM)
– PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU
– Case: Cooler Master Elite 333 Black
– HDD Accessory: Chieftec 3 x 5.25” bays for 4 S-ATA HDD’s (Hot-Swap)
– Software/OS: Ubuntu Server 10.10 + Virtual machines (VirtualBox 4.0.4)
The new psychical server will be called Asgaard and the first two virtual servers are the once that will replace hera and artemis their names will be Freja and Loki.
– CPU(s): 2x
Intel Xeon E5345 Quadcore 2.13 GHz 8MB Cache (8 Cores)
– CPU(s): 2x Intel Xeon E5420 Quadcore 2.5 GHz 12MB Cache (8 Cores)
– CPU fan(s): 2x Noctua NH-U9DX
– Memory: 16GB (4X4GB) DDR2 memory PC2-5300 ECC FBDIMM
– Motherboard: Supermicro X7DBN, Intel 5000P + (Supermicro AOC-SIMLC IPMI 2.0)
– Raid Controller: 3ware 9550SX – 12P
– HDD set 1: 2x 500GB in Raid1 2,5″(Sys) – (Seagate Momentus 7200.4)
– HDD set 2: 6x 500GB in Raid5 2,5″(VMs) – (Seagate Momentus 7200.4)
– HDD set 3: 4x 1TB in Raid5 3,5″(VMs) – (WD RE4 Edition)
– HDD Accessory: 2x Internal case for 4×2,5″ SAS/SATA-hard-drives (1x 5,25″ each)
– PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W power supply (80 Plus, Gold)
– Software/OS: Proxmox VE 2.0
The primary advantage will be easier VM administration, and of course the extra server power does not hurt. Hopefully we will get some speed improvements during busy hours ;).