As many of you probably have noticed our network has been rather unstable lately.
The primary reason is we have changed to Static IP instead of dynamic, this means we have been added to a new IP scope within our ISP’s network. When this happened we didn’t receive the gateway’s IP nor the subnet mask and that has caused us to be offline for several hours. After a lot of troubleshooting we’ve added the Gateway’s IP and the correct subnet mask manually.

Today the net died once again and we are trying to figure out why, for now we’ve been in queue at our ISP for 30 minutes and still waiting to get to talk with one of there technicians.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused for our users. Hopefully we will have a more stable connection soon.